Wednesday, December 18, 2013

12 Days of Anime

For those of you who don't know, the 12 days of anime is an event anibloggers engage in, where they relate 12 moments that are related to anime from the past year - moments which made them smile or angered them, from current shows or older, moments where they went to conventions, made dramatic poses, sung the Poke'Mon song at work, etc. Though I don't celebrate Christmas, I've decided to join in this year. Aside from my moments, I will also share moments provided by people on reddit, to whom I am thankful.



but without the free time, it's more like hell.




Well, my #12 moment? It's only proper to start in the beginning - resurrecting this blog from its three-years' slumber. On April 1st the blog is coming back to life, and a few days later I've made one of the entries I'm still more pleased with, , where I discuss falling in love with a show and its characters, and perhaps describe the process of infatuation in general.



I've been watching a bunch of airing anime since January, but since Spring I've watched over 13. I'm currently watching 9-10 currently airing anime, which is actually a hassle, since I write about almost all of them to a degree (you can read my thoughts on the Episodics page). It's fun to watch a lot of shows, and it's fun to discuss them with people who share your excitement, but it does hurt my ability to get through my ever burgeoning backlog, and also my ability to write longer editorials, so I'm probably going to (try hard to) limit it next season, with less shows watched, and less shows actually covered.



Aside from the new blog, and related to all of the above, I've been spending time checking other people's blogs, talking to anibloggers on Twitter, and spent copious amounts of time on , the sub-reddit related to anime. So much time that it had again, sometimes impacted my actual anime watching, but it's been fun. Thanks to all of you reading this, or reading the rest of my posts, and engaging in discussion! Here's to another year.

And now, here are thoughts shared by others, related to "beginnings" dealing with anime/anime community: SOHUMB: STARTING TO WATCH CURRENTLY AIRING ANIME:



and thus finding(and later, theThis Week posts). So many of this year's littler moments came from either watching something alongside a community or in discussions with that community, whether it was Kyousou Giga or White Album 2 or Uchouten Kazoku or Gatchaman Crowds or Chihayafuru 2 or Golden Time or TWGOK S3 or Gargantia or even frigging Railgun S and C3-bu and Kill la Kill :PI'm writing way more - and more permanent - words than I ever did, and hopefully I'm slowly getting better at analysis too as I do this more. And - I have nothing to compare with, but these two last seasons have felt embarrassingly stuffed with riches. This world is my world now, and am I glad I am here.



CPTNGARLOCK: FINDINGTHROUGH SAKURASOU



This was the first year I'd ever started watching anime as it aired, and through a series of browsing and boredom, Sakurasou was the first show I followed. I fondly remember reading 's weekly rants about how bad Mashiro is play-by-plays in the discussion threads. And since then, I've been a regular here -my mostof gold ! Here's to another year of anime, guys! Let 2014 rock as hard as this year!



REDCRIMSON: CODE GEASS - LOOK MOM, I'M ON THE INTERNET!



For some context, Brian Hanson used to write the Answerman series of columns on ANN. Brian would submit questions to his readers, and publish some of the answers in the next column. I'd submitted quite a few during his run as Answerman, but in March 2013 he posted one of my responses about my irrational love for Code Geass. It was nothing I couldn't have posted on a blog, or on Reddit, but there's a certain satisfaction and validation to be had in someone else, particularly someone I respect, deciding that my ramblings were good enough to post in an article for a major website. Maybe I actually know WTF I'm talking about? Sadly, Brian has since moved on from ANN, and Justin Sevakis took over the Answerman column. And the reader response section has been discontinued. But I'll always have that one little triumph.



CH4ZU:



* STARTING TO WATCH ANIME. It's kind of the most important moment of 2013 for me regarding anime I'd say! Which is why I have more elaborate or general things listed than other people here. I'm experiencing everything you guys experienced several years ago now for the first time, and it's glorious! I've seen Naruto, Fairy Tailfor someone who's studying communication sciences it's always interesting. And the thought-out posts learned me things that made me look more critical at anime, and that actually helped my viewing-experience. I tend to notice good aspects of a show more or I can identify why I dislike the shows that I didn't enjoy. It's not a skill I was born with.



FALCONHAXX: DISCUSSING WINTER 2013 SHOWS WITH OTHER PEOPLE HERE ON , AND ESPECIALLY SASAMI-SAN@GANBARANAI WITH .



Out of all the shows I've discussed, Sasami-san stands out because of the fact that the speculation created by us was the most entertaining thing about that show. Every week, we would guess what everything meant and what would happen in the next episode. In the end, we got very few answers, but the speculation itself was immensely enjoyable. However, that's not the only show that I liked writing about. OreShura was also very entertaining for comedy-related reasons, and because I somehow created my own arbitrary point system for characters().



UNORTHODOXBYNATURE: THE START OF MY COLLECTION:



I've been watching anime for over two years and during that time I've always wanted to start my own collection. I received my first aime Blu-Ray/DVD on my birthday when my parents gave me the Serial Experiments Lain complete collection. I was so happy and I even marathoned the series the same day. Throughout the year, I have been adding to my collection with my later purchases of the Evangelion Rebuilds 1.11 and 2.22 (and pretty soon 3.33), Akira, Howl's Moving Castle and other titles.



DEFFIK: TOOK A BREAK FROM GAMING, GOT BACK INTO ANIME AND REDISCOVERED IT:



Past year I spent way too much time playing Guild Wars 2, grew bored of it a little bit during summer vacation and one day I got a though 'hey there should be new non-filler eps of Naruto up', catched up pretty quickly and that led me to a conclusion that I need some more. Decided to re watch original Saint Seiya series that I loved when I was a kid in order to watch the Hades Arc (something I always wanted to watch). That's the 'getting back into into anime' part. Rediscovering anime happened the other day, when I was listening to podcast/interview show that my guildies made to get members of the guild know each other more and there was one guy who absolutely loves Lucky Star. After I got back googled what Lucky Star was, though that there is no way that I'll enjoy it because what is there to enjoy? See I liked shonen anime pretty much and thought that the rest was boring (the only non shonen Anime I saw prior to that date were probably Bebop, Onegai Teacher and Hotaru no Haka several years earlier) but decided to give it a shot.



And I got sucked into Lucky Star, no idea why, but I enjoyed it immensely. Watching it made me realize that there are other genres/titles that I may enjoy, it made me curious of other anime titles. From there it's been an awesome ride. 'Romance shows? Nah that's for girls.' Wrong again. 'Sport series about some kind of traditional Japanese card game and poems can't be good'. Wrong again. 'Why would you mix cute girls and tanks?!' Oh my god.



And the list goes on.



SO, READERS, DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT RELATED TO BEGINNINGS AND ANIME THIS YEAR?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment