Friday, January 10, 2014

AonAnime Roundtable Review: Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 2

Read more at

Read more at




Here at AonAnime, we don't just have one writer, we have a team of skilled and dedicated anime writers! Seeing as we're all massive Code Geass fans and we all wanted to review the recent OVA, we've come up with a unique and, hopefully, compelling method that allows all to have our say on the outrageous world that is Code Geass! So, let's start with the first of hopefully many AonAnime Roundtable Reviews.



PARTICIPATING WRITERS: STARK, ZERO, HANNIBAL AND LELOUCH



WARNING: SPOILERS INCLUDED



BACKGROUND: Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito is set between the two seasons of the original Code Geass anime and it depicts the activities of a special group of the E.U army made up of Elevens (exiled Japanese). You should definitely watch the first episode before viewing this one.



More details here:



Q: WHAT WERE YOUR EXPECTATIONS BEFORE WATCHING THIS EPISODE?



Zero: After the first episode, I was expecting great things. Thankfully, it lived up to my high expectations and is one of my favourites.



Hannibal: After watching the previous episode, I had very high hopes for this. In the previous episode, the mecha battle had been outstanding and contained some of the best animation I had ever seen, being a Sunrise anime this was not surprising. However I was slightly disappointed by the fact that there was only one major mecha scene, which took place at the beginning. Consequently, I expected a lot more action in this episode. Also due to the previous episodes' shock ending, I was expecting answers about Shin's Geass.



Lelouch: As soon as I saw the preview for it, I was already impatient in wanting to see this episode. I expected something of a very, very high standard after my previous experiences with Boukoku no Akito and Code Geass in general.



Stark: Code Geass is my favourite. Obviously I was very, very excited for Akito 2. The first episode was solid and I expected the second one to be even better. In short, I expected an instant classic whilst wishing it lived up to my impossibly high standards. *cough* btooom! *cough*.



Q: DID IT LIVE UP TO THESE EXPECTATIONS?



Zero: In my opinion, it didn't just live up to my expectations, it exceeded them exponentially. Never once did I think an anime could be so flawless in every aspect, ranging from the plot to the art and from the characters to the politics.



Hannibal: I have to say that Akito 2 easily surpassed my expectations as it somehow managed to top the mecha scenes which the previous episode executed so perfectly. Also, we received answers on both Akito's and Shin's Geass, which to be honest, left me shocked. Overall, my expectations were completely blown out of the water, and I have not seen an anime series that has left me so shocked and entertained.



Lelouch: Like Zero said, not only did Akito 2 live them to expectations, it exceeded them in dramatic fashion. The mix of the new characters accompanied with a few special appearances from the original series, made the anime special and nothing short of magnificent.



Stark: I like to think I'm a fairly skilled writer, with a vast vocabulary, but I honestly had no words to describe Akito 2. My impossibly high standards were surpasses and I felt like an idiot for expecting just a 'solid' addition to the CG world. The Akito series could seriously rival the original and if you only watch one episode of anime in your life, this has to be it.



Q: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE ASPECT/MOMENT?



Zero: The revelation of my favorite character being in it ..LELOUCH!



Hannibal: My favorite aspect had to be the stunning mech battles. Sunrise managed to make the fights in Akito 2 better than a lot of Gundam ones! In my opinion, Akito 2 had the best mecha animation I have ever seen!



Lelouch: The mind blowing of appearance of one of the true greats of anime. My favorite character and namesake, the great Lelouch.



Stark: It's really tough just to pick one aspect. If I had to pick a single moment then it has to be the moment when we first see Lelouch and the look of pure disgust and hatred Suzaku gives him. Remined me of R2!



Q: WHAT DIDN'T YOU LIKE ABOUT IT?



Zero: When it ended.



Hannibal: I have no major quarrels with the OVA, however if I was to really nit-pick, I find it hard to believe how three teenagers can break out of a high security military base so easily!



Lelouch: Probably the fact that we were promised a C.C to appearance yet she wasn't in it.



Stark: One small issue. I'm not sure what type of character Leila Malkal is supposed to be. She shows flashes of being a badass Kallen type character, but she also appears like a damsel in distress Shirley-esque character.



Q: WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEXT EPISODE?



Zero: I would like to see the appearance of C.C and I would like Lelouch and Suzaku to have a bigger part to play. Also, I expect another confrontation between Akito and Shin.



Hannibal: I expect Akito and his unit to launch a counter-attack on the Brittanians. This will result in Lelouch leading the Brittanian forces tactically and in Suzaku leading the fighting with his Lancelot. Therefore, Akito and Suzaku will have a very short fight which will end up with Shin interrupting the battle.



Lelouch: I am anticipating the development of the storyline between Akito and Shin. I want to know more about their Geass. Also, I would like to see a more prominent role for Lelouch plus an appearance from C.C or maybe even the Black Knights. However, I know that's quite unlikely.



Stark: I think Lelouch will start to command the Brittanian forces, something that'll cause tension with Shin. I think Akito will hesitate against his brother and his team will get decimated, leaving only a few alive. Finally, I'm expecting a C.C appearance and the episode to conclude with Lelouch beginning to fight against Charles' geass. Despite what it seems, I still think we'll get more Akito screen time than Lelouch.



FINALLY, IF YOU COULD DESCRIBE CODE GEASS: BOUKOKU NO AKITO 2 - HIKISAKARESHI YOKURYUU IN ONE WORD, WHAT WOULD IT BE?



Zero: Amazing.



Hannibal: Beautiful.



Lelouch: Perfection.



Stark: Astounding.



* Story: 10/10

* Characters: 10/10

* Art: 10/10

* Sound 10/10



ATTACK RATING: *****+ (FLAWLESS)
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment