Sunday, January 12, 2014

Buddy Complex Episode 1 Review

Code Geass, the Gundam franchise, Kakumeiki Valvrave. Sunrise is well known for its excellent its mecha anime. Therefore, when I heard that Sunrise were going to air a brand new mecha anime, I was extremely excited. Also, when I found out that Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, the voice actor for characters like Kirito from SAO and Yukiya from the Boukoku no Akito,was voicing the main character, I became even more impatient to watch it! Consequently, when I was finally able to watch Buddy Complex, I had extremely high expectations.



Now let's get into the actual episode review. I guess the beginning is as great a place to start as any. I found the first few minutes to be identical to the beginning of a Gundam anime. This is because it contained the generic start of a teenager, who has been living in blissful peace, being attacked by a giant robot. In this case we see Aoba, the protagonist, being attacked by a mecha that has travelled back in time. This scene raises a lot of questions, like why did the pilot target Aoba only? Hopefully some of these questions will be answered in future episodes, but it certainly makes the show more appealing.




About halfway/2 thirds the way through, we saw the first mecha battle of the season. It was a pretty slow fight but this should be expected considering the fact that it took place in a densely populated area. However, it is nice to see that the mecha art is very appealing, if not extremely similar to ones seen in Gundam. The fight was still enjoyable to watch and based on the ending, there will be a lot more battles to come.



Now we're on the topic of the ending, I have to say that as soon as I saw Aoba wake up in his new mecha, I couldn't help but laugh. It looked identical to a Gundam, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering they were both made by Sunrise. However the ending did leave me excited for the next episode, especially the 'Nice Coupling' message we see in the mecha. It's clear that episode 2 will start with the ending of what seemed to be an intense battle and we will see the introduction of the joint male protagonist Dio.



To conclude, I found this to be a solid opening episode and I can't wait for the next one!



PROS: + Use of time travelCONS: - Slow mecha fight scene



+ Mecha art



+ Use of cliff hanger



ATTACK RATINGS : *** (Solid)
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment